Mexican-style food is a staple in my house. It’s easy and the flavors are so fresh and bright. At least one to two times a week we have tacos, Mexican bowls, or some variation. It’s something I find myself craving quite frequently. Here I will give you some tips and variations on the basics.
DIY Taco Seasoning (per 1lb ground meat)
– About 1 tsp. of the following: Sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin
– 1 TBSP Chili Powder
– Dash of cayenne pepper – more for more heat
– Black pepper optional
Choose Your Protein:
– 2lbs of 94% lean ground turkey
– A mixture of 1lb 85% lean grassfed beef + 1lb turkey
– Classic, 2lbs ground beef (try for grassfed)
– Shredded chicken (made previously in the slow-cooker)
– About 2 lbs white fish
Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
Avocados or guacamole
Romaine lettuce, chopped
Pico de gallo (I buy Hannaford’s pre-made)
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Putting it All Together:
I personally like everything mixed together in a bowl. It’s nice to have control over the amount of each ingredient you add in, especially if you are paying attention to your macronutrient ratios. If you need more carbs in your diet, you can wrap everything up in soft corn tortillas (gluten free) or add some extra rice. If you’re going to indulge in corn chips, make them organic and non-GMO.
It’s so much better when it’s homemade!