Let me introduce you to one of my favorite go-to recipes, as Kyle and I dubbed it, “Epic Mealtime”. It needed a name that accurately captured its amazing flavor and level of satisfaction I would feel after eating it. Hence, EPIC! It is ground pork, bacon, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt & pepper. It’s amazing and versatile; you can add raisins, walnuts, sweet potato; you can omit the bacon; whatever – go crazy! Any way you make it, it’s so yummy for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 or 2 pounds of quality ground pork
1 package of quality bacon
1 apple for each pound of meat
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt & pepper
Optional: sweet potato, raisins, walnuts
1. Heat large skillet and add coconut oil.***
2. Dice 1 apple per pound of meat.
3. Add apple to hot skillet, sprinkle with cinnamon, dash of nutmeg, and pinch of salt. Mix.
4. Remove apple from the skillet when it begins to soften. Use personal preference on how long to cook the apples. The longer they cook, the sweeter they’ll be.
5. Add ground pork to skillet and let it brown. Break it up into small pieces and season the meat with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
6. When the pork is just about cooked all the way through, add apples, bacon, raisins, and other optional ingredients. Mix well. Let the flavors meld as the meat cooks all the way through.
7. Serve and enjoy.
***If adding bacon: cut bacon into small pieces and cook it until crispy in the skillet BEFORE cooking anything else. Let bacon drain on a paper towel. Pour excess bacon grease from skillet, leaving some in the pan to saute the apples and pork.